There is a high demand for moldable and high temperature engineering thermoplastic for rapid prototyping and manufacturing. Over the years, various moldable thermoplastics have gained popularity, and Polyphenylsulfone (PSU or PPSU) resin is the most prominent among them. This resin can be used in applications where other high temperature and high performance thermoplastics like polyoxymethylene and polycarbonate fail to meet the requirements. Are you intrigued to know what makes PSU a popular rapid prototyping and manufacturing resin? Read the post to know the answers.Introduction to PPSU Resins
This is one of the high performance polymers that get their name from the polysulfone family. They feature aromatic or phenyl rings that are linked by sulfone (SO2) groups. The polysulfones are produced by condensing two different types of 4, 4’-bis (chlorophenyl) sulfones including 4,4′-bis(4-hydroxyphenyl)sulfone and bisphenol A.Properties of PSU That Make Them an Ideal Choice for Injection Molding and Other Rapid Manufacturing Techniques
Injection molding, blow molding, and extrusion molding are two popular techniques used for rapid prototyping and manufacturing. PPSU thermoplastic is used for injection molding plastic parts for various critical applications including medical. The following properties of PSSU make them ideal for the aforementioned rapid prototyping techniques.
- Most PSU grades are easy to machine, thus are ideal for injection stretch molding and injection molding. They can be easily processed using hot runner systems with minimal or zero scrap losses.
- PSU assures outstanding performance in various challenging environments where they may be exposed to temperature and pressure extremes or harsh chemicals.
- Many PSU grades like Ultrason P 2010 are used for injection molding various types of medical bottles. These resin grades come with thin walls, which make them an ideal choice for long flow paths without compromising on chemical resistance or the impact.
Plastic parts modelled from PSU are integral part of our lives. Although we may not realize, these parts have been used in various commercial and industrial applications for several years now. The following properties of PSU make them an ideal choice for commercial applications.
- The thermoplastic possess a heat deflection and glass transition temperatures of 274 degrees Celsius and 288 degrees Celsius.
- The parts can withstand consistent temperatures up to 260 degrees Celsius, which suggests their thermal stability. This high thermal stability makes them an ideal choice for several applications where the parts are required to retain their color even if exposed to high temperatures for a long time.
- Most sulfone polymers exhibit high hydrolytic stability which makes them highly water resistant. This property when combined with thermal stability or heat resistance makes them an ideal choice for hot water and steam applications. The sulfone polymers do not craze or cloud like other high-temperature thermoplastics.
- The polymers of sulfone show high resistance to alkalis, weak acids, and radiation sterilization.
- Sulfone polymers offer good resistance to gamma or X-rays, which accounts for their increasing use in applications where it may be continuously exposed to radiation of various types.
- The parts made of this material offer excellent electric insulation, too.
PSU thermoplastics is used to injection mold the following products:
- Medical Components: Various PPSU grades are autoclavable and are used for making various types of medical equipment housings, sterilization trays, medical components, and so on.
- Plumbing Parts: As said before, PSU grades offer a combination of hydrolytic and thermal stability, which makes them an ideal choice for hot water fittings, membranes, and so on.
- Automotive Parts: Connectors and sockets, sensors and headlight reflectors, and fuses used in cars and some heavy vehicles are created using PPSU. The resin offers excellent electric insulation and can withstand high temperatures, which makes them ideal for these applications.
- Food Applications: Many PPSU grades are FDA-approved, which is why they are used for making microwave safe popcorn makers and dishes.
- Aircraft Parts: The parts used in aircraft are designed with precision after several careful considerations. They are created from materials that help them retain their strength and form at high temperatures and challenging environments. PSU resins possess this property, which is why they are widely used to develop aircraft panels and other aircraft parts.
If you are looking for PSU for your injection molding, injection stretch molding, and extrusion molding applications, it is important to source these resins from trusted suppliers. Mid Continent Plastics provides PSU resins in various grades and colors. The company specializes in buying and selling resins, and can provide them in different amounts right from bagful to truckload.