Plastic products are immensely popular owing to several distinct advantages they offer. These products have gained popularity over metals due to their durability, weight, price advantage, and reliability. As a result, plastic has emerged as one of the popular engineering materials. You can find different types of plastic resins that are developed for meeting certain application requirements. High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) is one of the most popular thermoplastic resins and is among one of the widely used polyethylene types, with low-density polyethylene (LDPE) and medium-density polyethylene (MDPE) being the other two. Having said that you may think about what factors contribute to its popularity. Why it has become a popular choice for various commercial and industrial applications? Read the post to know the answers.
A Brief History of HDPE
Did you know this resin was introduced in the 1930s? The material gained popularity during the1950s in the US, and it was widely used in the development of cables during World War II. Now, these were not regular cables, but rather cables supporting high-frequency radar applications. HDPE has been used in several forms since then. Today, you can find them in different flexible formulations.
What Properties Make HDPE Resins Popular?
The following properties make HDPE resins popular.
- The resins possess a high-strength-to-density ratio, with densities ranging from 930 to 970 kg/m3.
- The resin is considered for several ambient temperature applications because it can be operational across a large temperature range from -148 to 176 degrees Fahrenheit for short periods.
- HDPE possesses high tensile strength and intermolecular forces than LDPE. This is because HDPE has minimal branching when compared to LDPE. This makes it stronger than the latter.
- HPDE resins can withstand different solvents, which makes them a popular choice for chemical containers.
- This resin is often formulated to improve its crack resistance. No wonder, they are being used to build pipes used for wastewater and potable water transfer systems.
- Thermoplastic is impact resistant, which means it will only bounce, not break even if any HDPE product is thrown from a height or stairs.
- The resins can withstand rotting, insects, mildew, and so on, which makes it a great choice for delivering water underground.
In addition to the above-discussed features, the HDPE resins:
- Can resist UV rays
- Withstand leaching
- Are dishwasher safe
- Are cost-effective
- Are relatively stiffer than LDPE and MDPE
- Can resist moisture
Most HDPE grades possess excellent processing capabilities. This is why various HDPE grades are considered for a large range of processing techniques such as injection molding, extrusion, rotational molding, extrusion blow molding, and so on.
A Detailed Discussion on Various Types of HDPE Resin Applications
The following are some applications of HDPE resins:
- Toys: Most kids carelessly discard or throw their toys outside the home. The toys are exposed to UV rays and may discolor due to long-term exposure. This is where toys made of HDPE make a difference. They do not lose their strength or color and can withstand the damaging effects of sun rays.
- Pipe Systems: As said before, HDPE sheets are nowadays produced in different molecular weights. The grades used for making pipe systems have high molecular weight compared to the regular HDPE grades. The pipe grade sheets possess high strength and they can resist UV rays, too. The systems can withstand temperatures between -220 to 180 degrees Fahrenheit and can withstand chemicals, too.
- Sturdy Containers: HDPE material is used to make sturdy bottles that can be used to stock chemicals and oils.
- Packaging Materials: HDPE materials are used for making clamshells and blister packs, bags for medical and bedding, meat wraps, deli, and so on.
- Recycled Equipment: Recycled HDPE is a popular choice over virgin HDPE. It is used for making recycled plastic containers, recycled playground equipment, recycled plastic bins, recycled outdoor patio furniture, and so on.
As you have seen, HDPE is widely used for making different long-term use products. Plastic manufacturers and brands offering them – both understand the importance of sourcing the resins from trusted suppliers. Mid Continent Plastics is one of the leading plastic brokers in the US. The company buys and sells various types of resins including HDPE resins such as HDPE, 8 melt, and .960 dens in any quantities.Related Post-
- Know Why Regrind Resins Are Beneficial
- Benefits of Buying Plastic Regrinds from Mid Continent Plastics